Monday, November 23, 2009

Crafting gone Wrong

A few evenings ago I had a very sobering experience to say the least. One of those experiences that you don't forget but wished you could. And it definetly makes me rethink craft stores.
Friday night my sister-in-law and my mom and I were doing a craft night when we realized we were missing a few things and decided to make a run down to Hobby Lobby. Leah and I went while my mom watched the children. Leah and I got all of the things we were missing and proceeded to check out. As we were checking out to masked men one of which had a gun ran into the store and told the cashiers to empty out the registers. Everyone including Leah and I started backing away from the registers. Leah and I ran to the back of the store. Leah called 911 and we sat and waited for something to happen. Anything to happen.
Luckily the thiefs stole what was from the register and ran out. We don't know if they were caught but no one was harmed and everyone seems to be ok. We ended up staying about an hour after the incident to talk with the police.
My thoughts during this whole ordeal was first where was Leah.. I've never seen anyone walk backwards so fast in my entire life. I found her quickly though. The second thought was I just became a mommy! This can't be happening. I was so glad we didn't decide to take our children with us. While we were waiting for something to happen I did have a calm feeling come over me. I don't know if it was because I hear about this stuff all the time from Nolan or maybe it was the fact that I don't get fight or flight I just get logical in rough situations. (thank you dad and Nolan) I don't know but Heavenly father was helping me stay calm. I hope those men got caught and hopefully I will never have to experience something like that again.

6 comments:

Leah Martineau said...

Hey you make me look like I ditched you or something. I was just walking as fast as I could but knew you were right there the whole time.=) Well I hope that never happens again and now I'm all paranoid. Seriously....I'm a scardy-cat as it is now I'm even worse!!!

AMBER said...

That is so scary! I am so sorry that you had to go through that! I am glad you guys are okay. I am at Hobby Lobby all the time-crazy how it could happen anywhere...

Luke and Niki said...

Oh my!! Thats so crazy! I cant imagine being in that situation. Im glad you and Leah are just fine. At least its a good story to tell if nothing else?

These Are The Days said...

Funny I just ate lunch w/ you an hour ago and yet you FAILED to mention it!!! CRAZY stuff. I am SO glad you are OK.

Corynn said...

I heard about that today at work! I would have peed myself... Seriously. I am glad everything was okay! I think they are changing the doors there now, because that is how they got in. (I work at the other Hob Lob, in case you were confused...)

Mariah said...

People these days. What a shame,it's not peoples' jobs to scare others, or violate, destroy, or invate others' space, or property! Glad your ok!